Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Songlines #4

It is coming up to Remembrance Day. The theme for Themetrain next week will be War and Peace. It seems appropriate that I have lines from songs with a war and/or peace connection.

I Was Only 19 (A Walk in the Light Green) by John Schumann

Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon
God help me, he was going home in June

Sam Stone by John Prine

There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes
Jesus Christ died for nothing I suppose

Both wonderful examples of the craft of lyric writing. And both with a god reference I noticed as I typed this up. I saw John Schumann perform Only 19 at the Woodford Folk Festival, very moving for everyone there. I am yet to see John Prine in concert but hope to get the opportunity sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment